Former Pope Benedict says, it is absurd that the media speculates that he was forced to resign a year ago.
In a letter to the Italian website Vatican Insider published on Wednesday, the 86 year old “pope emeritus,” said that it was his complete decision to quit God’s duties.
“There is absolutely no doubt regarding the validity of my resignation from the Petrine ministry, The only condition for the validity of my resignation is the complete freedom of my decision. Speculation regarding its validity is simple absurd,” he wrote in answer to a request by the website for comment on recent Italian media reports.
Announcing his resignation ,Benedict said he no longer had the physical and spiritual strength to run the 1.2 billion member Church and that his decision had been taken in full freedom.
Benedict announced his decision to resign on February 11, 2013 and formally stepped down on February 28, becoming the first pope in 600 years to do so.
Two weeks later, Francis was elected the first non-European pope in 1,300 years.