By Sandra Birungi
Kenya Defence Forces ( KDF) are now in full control of the Westgate Mall after neutralizing all the six militants who attacked the mall Saturday and claimed the lives of over 60 and injuring over 100.
A tweet from the Interior ministry said Kenyan forces were now in charge of the Westgate situation and it was unlikely any hostages remained inside. “Our forces are combing the mall floor by floor looking for anyone left behind. We believe all hostages have been released,” the tweet said.
According to a statement from the Department of Defense, 11 personnel had been shot and wounded by terrorists in the operation. “Chances of any terrorists sneaking out and escaping are very slim. KDF troops have sealed all possible escape routes.” Chief of Kenya Defense Forces, General Julius Karangi warned those responsible for the attacks to surrender on the third day of the siege. He attributed the thick smoke which was seen billowing from the building to a “distraction by the gunmen attempting to escape”.
“If they wish they can now surrender because we have no intention whatsoever of going backwards,” Gen. Karangi warned Monday.
On the identities of the attackers, Gen. Karangi said they were from many countries around the globe, not just Somalia but emphasized that it was too early to reveal the identities of the attackers. Interior minister Joseph ole Lenku said two of the terrorists had been shot dead.
Yesterday, a total of 68 people were reported to have passed away while 175 had been injured in the Westgate Mall attacks.