Florida Department of Health has issued a warning for swimmers against a brain eating parasite.
The health department has confirmed that a 12-year-old Arkansas girl contracted the brain Eating parasite (Naegleria fowleri) while swimming in a sandy-bottom lake at a water park in Little Rock.
The parasite is found in hot springs and warm freshwater, most often in the Southeastern United States.
The amoeba enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain. There is no danger of infection from drinking contaminated water, the CDC said.
“This infection is one of the most severe infections that we know of,” Dr. Dirk Haselow of the Arkansas Department of Health told CNN affiliate WMC-TV about Kali’s case. “Ninety-nine percent of people who get it die.”