Home » Breaking News, World News » Boy Who Was Denied Heart Transplant Put on Waiting List

By Jane Nambi

The 15-year-old boy from Atlanta who was denied the opportunity to have a heart transplant because of his grades and run in with the law has been put on a waiting list his family has revealed.

His family said he had been previously been rejected because of past failure to take medicine and show up for doctor’s appointments. Anthony Stokes has an enlarged heart and is said to have less than six months to live without a transplant according to his family. Relatives said that Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Hospital had reversed course and added him to the wait list on Tuesday.

Boy Denied Heart Transplant Because of Poor Grades“As we stated previously, a heart transplant evaluation is an ongoing process based on the patient and his or her family’s ability to meet specific transplant criteria,” the hospital said on Tuesday. “Our physician experts are continuing to work with this family to establish a care plan and determine the best next steps for the patient.”

Stokes’ mother, Melencia Hamilton had alleged hospital officials had refused to put Stokes on the transplant list because of fear he would not comply with medical requirements. “They said they don’t have any evidence that he would take his medicine or that he would go to his follow-ups,” Hamilton said.

To be put on the list, there are some considerations and among them is whether patients understand the risk, whether they are likely to follow medication schedules and whether they can get to a doctor’s office or clinic for regular follow-up care.