By Mirembe Martina
A three-month old baby, according to his parents, catches fire voluntarily.
The Indian boy apparently caught fire when he was alone in the house and his parents found him burning away and was rushed to hospital. His mother narrated that the first time the incident occurred, he had been left home alone for a few moments and when they came back into the house, they found him on fire. “There was a flame on his belly and his right knee, and my husband rushed with a towel to put it off. I got very scared,” his mother|, Rajeshwari Karnan said.
This was just, however, the first and not the last time that the boy caught fire; it has apparently happened three more times. The first incident took place when he was nine days old. Doctors are looking for signs to show that the boy is suffering from spontaneous human combustion.
The baby is now being treated at the Kilpauk Medical College Hospital in Chennai, India. Doctors, in addition are examining the child for a host of other medical conditions, as well as possible child abuse.
Multiple medical tests have given no indication that the baby could catch fire without an ignition source, according to the Times of India. “We are in a dilemma and haven’t come to any conclusion,” Dr. Narayan Babu, head of pediatrics at Kilpauk Medical Hospital, said. “The parents have held that the child burned instantaneously without any provocation. We are carrying out numerous tests. We are not saying it is SHC until all investigations are complete.”