By Mirembe Martina
Three more people who were gutted by the fire which erupted after an accident occurred in Namugoona, at the Northern by-pass have passed away.
Different sources put the death toll at different numbers. Some local media houses say it is at 40 now after the death of the three people while others say it now 38 while others put the death toll to more than 40 people.
The deceased have passed away at Mulago hospital and their death was confirmed by Police spokesperson, Judith Nabakooba. Earlier on in the day, President Museveni pledged to give each of the victims sh5 million as they recovered. There were 16 people who had been admitted at the National Referral hospital after sustaining injuries during the accident. Doctors had earlier on said that the survival rate of the victims is minimal due to the fatal injuries which they sustained.
The bodies of the deceased are still undergoing DNA tests to be identified because some of them were said to have been burnt beyond recognition. Of the 28 bodies that were taken to the hospital morgue, 17 have been positively identified and given to their families while seventeen others remain unidentified.
On Saturday, a petrol truck was involved in an accident that sparked a fire.