Home » Breaking News, Uganda News » Child Dies in House Fire

By Nambi Mildred

A three year old girl identified as Allen Nakintu has died in a house fire in Masaka district.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a candle that was left burning by the children’s mother Margaret Nakato who had gone to a nearby shop.
Miraculously, a one and half year old boy Gonzaga Kintu who was in the house with Nakintu survived the blaze.

The fire is thought to have started in the bedroom where the deceased was sleeping.

The younger child was in the sitting room and  crawled out of the house when the fire started.

The mother Nakato told sympathizers that her daughter must have moved the candle from the sitting room to the bedroom and then fell asleep before putting it out.

The first people on the scene managed to rescue the badly burned girl who died soon after reaching Kitovu hospital.
John Lugabira, one of the neighbors who responded to the alarms, said the blaze overwhelmed their efforts to put it out.

The Southern Regional Fire Brigade Chief Moses Muhanguzi said that police could not save the minor because at the time they reached the scene it was too late.