Home » Breaking News, Uganda News » Fire Guts Njeru Market

By Mildred Nambi

Vendors in Njeru town council market in Buikwe district are counting losses after fire broke out in the market and reduced merchandise worth millions of shillings to ash.

The fire is believed to have started from one of the houses and spread fast to the market.

Michael Odeba, a councilor at Njeru town council says 20 stalls with merchandise worth 50 million shillings were gutted by the fire.

He however, says no vendor was injured in the fire.

The chairperson Njeru market Celebu Kamugisha, says the fire spread fast because the stalls were constructed using wood and papyrus materials, which burn very fast.

John Kigozi, a resident of Buwagajjo in Njeru town council lost his entire stock worth 11 million shillings as his shop got burnt.

Kigozi says by the time he rushed to the market, it was too late to save anything.

The stalls in the market are congested which, made it difficult for the fire Tender truck to enter the market.