By John Kibirige
Prof Venansius Baryamureeba the former Vice Chancellor of Makerere University has been appointed as a member the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) Innovation Council.
Baryamureeba’s appointment letter dated ,January 16 was signed by the COMESA secretary general, Sindiso Ngwenya.Baryamureba will be innaugurated in Kampala in February this year.
Baryamureba was recently appointed chairman of Makerere University Business School (MUBS) Council.
SOME OF PROF. BARYAMUREBA’S ’S KEY MILESTONES
In 1996 Baryamureeba finished a two year M.Sc. in Computer Science in a record time of 8 months;
• In 2000 he graduated with a PhD and had the best PhD dissertation that year at the University of Bergen;
• In 2000 Baryamureeba discovered the Barya function;
• In 2000 at the age of 30 he was the youngest PhD holder at Makerere University;
• In 2000 he became the 1st Ugandan to obtain a PhD in Computer Science;
• In 2001 at the age of 31 he was appointed Director of the Institute of Computer Science and became the youngest Director in the history of Makerere University;
• In 2005 at the age of 36 he was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Computing and IT and became the youngest Dean in the history of Makerere University;
On 14th December 2011, Professor Venansius Baryamureeba won the Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education at the Africa-India Partnership Summit Le Matinal Educational Excellence Awards 2011 held in Mauritius.