Home » Breaking News, Uganda News » Amin’s Son, Maj Gen Taban Amin Sued for Sh2b Gold Fraud

By Mirembe Martina

Maj Gen Taban Amin, son to former president of Uganda, Idi Amin Dada has been indicated in a sh2b gold deal fraud.

Amin is being sued by Cosbet Lux S.A, a Switzerland based company. The civil suit was filed at the High Court in Kampala on December 13 accusing Amin and his lawyer Hannington Tayebwa of Masiko and Company Advocates of the fraud of sh2b, $1m. The company claims that the money in question was fraudulently obtained and is seeking a refund.


Arrested, Edward Muwawu

“An order that the first defendant (Taban) indemnifies the plaintiff company against its loss.  An order that the first defendant discloses the true and correct identity of the people involved in fleecing the plaintiff company,” the plaint states.

According to the complaint, the compatriots discussed trading in gold and Urbano informed Betella that Taban had 620 kilograms of gold for sale. The company agents in Uganda Francesco Abruzzo and Guiseppe Galli, together with Betella met Taban at Cassia Hotel in a city suburb of Munyonyo. Taban was allegedly given $25,000(about sh60m) for fuel to travel to Arua to collect the gold and the company agents traveled to Arua airfield, where samples of gold were tested and found to be genuine.

The company claims it then agreed to buy 20 kilograms, and paid $55,000(about sh143m), inclusive of both tax and air bills; money meant for transporting the gold to Dubai, where the company president had formed a company to handle the transaction. Everything went wrong when the company was told that Uganda Revenue Authority, declined to clear the 20 kilograms, and wanted all the 620 kilograms of gold be paid for. The company claims it then wired $756,000(about sh1.96b) to the account of Tayebwa at Standard Chart Bank in Uganda.

In the mean time, a suspect in the case, Edward Muwawu has been sent back to jail on remand after his bail was cancelled.He was remanded until December 20, when he is set tol appear in court. He was arrested at his home in Masaka after a warrant of arrest was issued by Justice Lameck Mukasa after he failed to appear in court and he had been in hiding close to a month.

Amin was asked to file his defences within 15 days.